Pioneering and transformative wellness destination Chiva-Som celebrated UNESCO’s International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystem on 26th July with a visit to its Krailart Niwate Mangrove Ecosystem Preservation Project in Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan. Led by Vaipanya Kongkwanyeun, General Manager of Chiva-Som, staff members and guests planted 500 seedlings at the conservation site.
International Day for the Conservation of the Mangrove Ecosystem is a day to appreciate and note the importance of the world’s mangroves: these complex ecosystems act as a natural defence against tsunamis, rising sea levels and coastal erosion; they provide shelter and breeding grounds for a diversity of marine life; and they act as a source of food and livelihoods for traditional communities. Yet 50% of the world’s mangroves have disappeared over the last 40 years, with 75% of the remainder now in danger.
As part of Chiva-Som’s ethos of sustainability that is integrated into every facet of its operations, its team have spent the last 15 years cultivating the seaside town of Hua Hin’s only urban mangrove. The Krailart Niwate Mangrove Ecosystem Preservation Project is a collaboration between the resort, the Preserve Hua Hin Group led by Krip Rojanastien under the royal patronage of HRH Princess Maha Sirindhorn, the Hua Hin municipality and Silpakorn University. Together, they turned what was once wasteland into a peaceful and flourishing ecosanctuary for the town’s residents and visitors alike.
A total of 11,000 trees have been planted over an area of seven acres, with the number and area expanding each year. Chiva-Som also sponsored the construction of the 1 km elevated boardwalk through the mangroves at a total cost of THB 7 million (USD 210,000). Visitors can enjoy ambling through the reserve, surrounding themselves with the healing effects of getting back to nature, all the while learning how mangroves sustain communities.
For more information about Chiva-Som and its conservation projects, please visit www.chivasom.com.
Since 1995, the award-winning Chiva-Som has pioneered transformative wellness practices to global acclaim. Its commitment to an innovative, holistic approach which expertly balances mind, body and spirit continues to this day with its flagship resort in Hua Hin, Thailand, and the latest addition to the Chiva-Som family, Zulal Wellness Resort in Khasooma, Qatar.
Optimal, bespoke wellness lies at the heart of each Chiva-Som experience. With its unique synergy of indigenous traditions and evidence-based wellness, Chiva-Som partners with guests on highly personalised wellness journeys focused on complete lifestyle transformation. At the new Zulal Wellness Resort, these extend to the entire family.
Guests are motivated throughout their journey by knowledgeable and caring staff, who address their goals with the unique heart of Chiva-Som hospitality.
Chiva-Som’s approach to wellness extends to the wider community, with educational opportunities and global sustainability initiatives at the core of everything we do.
A few of our recent awards:
- Winner #1: ‘Top Destination Spa Resort in the World’ – Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2021
- ‘Gold Award: Wellness Retreat’ – Thailand Tourism Awards 2021
- ‘Asia’s Best Wellness Retreat’ – World Spa Awards 2021
- ‘Thailand’s Best Wellness Retreat’ – World Spa Awards 2021
- ‘Best Destination Spa’ – Condé Nast Traveller (UK) Spa Awards 2020
- ‘Wellness Program of the Year’ – Destination Deluxe Awards 2020
- ‘International Hotels: Best Wellness Retreat’ – Travel + Leisure India’s Best Awards 2020
- One of the ‘50 Sustainability & Climate Leaders’ – Bloomberg 2020
- ‘Best Coastal Operation’ – Travel Daily (Australia) Travel & Tourism Sustainability Awards 2019
- ‘Best Spa’ – Traveller’s World (Germany) 2019
- ‘Certificate of Merit’ – Sustainable Business Awards (Thailand) 2019